The much awaited Vallarpadam container terminal is ready to be inaugurated.The international Transhipment Terminal (ICCT) will be inaugurated by honourable Primeminister Dr Manmohan Sing at 10 a.m on 11th February at the Vallarpadam Island. It is India’s first International container transshipment terminal.The new terminal will make Cochin a key centre in the shipping world.It will reduce India ’s dependence on foreign ports tlike Singapore,Salalah and Srilanka to handle transshipment.The Dubai Port World has costructed and developedthe site and will transfer its operations to the RGCT in Cochin Port .
The DP World has been granted a 38-year concession for the exclusive operation and management of the site.Strategically located on the main east-west global shipping lines and offering draft of about 16 m, Cochin is destined to develop as the premier gateway to southern India, as also offering an alternative to Sri Lanka and Singapore for containers being transshipped for the Indian market.
Last 5 posts by Cochincity
- Kochi water metro project - June 20th, 2016
- Ernakulam Railway Station Gets Automatic Ticket Vending Machine - September 28th, 2013
- Escalator At Ernakulam Junction-Railway Station - September 10th, 2013
- Athachamayam and Atham Trade Fare 2013 - September 6th, 2013
- All India Silk Saree Fest - Kochi - September 6th, 2013